Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rock Band 2 - Week 1

So I've been playing a lot of Rock Band 2 the last week; catching a few minutes here and there. I haven't had time to put in any marathon hours into it. It is a great way to unwind after a crowded stressful bus commute home.

I've played some guitar,bass, and drums this week, but no singing. Because no one wants to here that, not even me.

Playing drums on Alice in Chains "Spoonman" I came across a drum solo, which I thought was pretty cool. That's the first time I can remember encountering a drum solo, though I may have played one before. I'm pretty sure I've played a bass solo before.

I played bass on a few "punk" songs, mostly Pixies, Blink-182, and the Offspring. It's a bit odd, but in a few of those songs it felt like the bass notes were timed a hair off. Which is very unfortunate, because that is the DLC that is the most fun to play on the drums and guitar. The drum parts are surprisingly  complex; which is funny because "punk takes no talent". The guitar parts aren't as hard but the note-tracking feels very realistic.

Speaking of DLC, other downloads I would recommend is the Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape, No Doubt's The Singles 1992-2003, and the Cars - the Cars. Every part is fun on the No Doubt songs, though for some reason every drum part seems to be insane. Also my wife loves No Doubt, so when I get her to play with me, it's usually her singing the No Doubt songs. I was a bit disappointed in the the Cars guitar note tracking, but the songs are a blast on bass and drums. The Foo Fighters songs are again good all around. I love the Who and wish I could recommend their DLC more highly but there is too much empty spaces between notes in most of their songs.

Anyway, I've got a long way to go still. I'm still opening up cities and venues. Doubtful I'll get to play any this weekend, I'm going to be busy non-stop.

2 comments:

  1. Nice update as usual. Whenever I'm working on cracking through the venues I grab the aide of my girlfriend to do the singing.

    As you said, NO ONE needs to hear THAT.

    Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt!

    Also, I'm working on that picture of the pile of shame

    ReplyDelete